ENVE SES 3.4 Carbon Clincher Wheelset - Chris King R45 Turquoise Ceramic Hubs
The Smart ENVE System 3.4s are specifically designed as a multi-purpose wheelset that can be used in virtually all weather conditions, terrains and disciplines. The 3.4s, being shallower, offer maximum performance characteristics for professional and novice riders alike in mountainous terrain, or when the wind conditions are too strong for the 6.7s. The 3.4 wheel system is capable of producing very low drag numbers while creating a higher stability index given its shallower depth. The front rim is 26mm wide and 35mm deep while the rear is 24mm wide and 45mm deep.
THE EVOLUTION OF SPEED. INTRODUCING THE SMART ENVE SYSTEM.
The recipe for a fast wheel is no one single element; rather, it’s a combination of factors. When you start with in-frame development and blend proven aerodynamics, optimized stability, lightweight, stiffness and durability, the result is a revolutionary wheel design. Introducing the Smart ENVE System.
The Smart ENVE System optimizes the interface between the frame surfaces and the wheels, creating an integrated system. The front and rear wheels interact differently with the air and the rest of the bicycle. Rim shapes are optimized to allow airflow to stay attached at higher yaw angles, thus reducing drag and improving ride performance.
- The front wheel is wider and shallower to improve stability and reduce drag in any wind condition.
- The rear wheel is deeper to reduce drag where stability is less affected.
- Wheels were tested on multiple frame designs in order to produce the maximum drag reduction. The result is a wheel system, which handles predictably, and displays superior drag results when installed in multiple bicycle frame designs.
Steering feedback in variable conditions needs to be predictable to have total handling confidence. Less predictable wheels have a non-linear steering response, resulting in erratic and unpredictable handling in unsteady conditions. The shape of the Smart ENVE System rim is optimized to ensure even and predictable airflow attachment. What the rider experiences is a balanced build up of side force as the angle of crosswind changes. This allows the rider to accurately predict the handling mannerisms of the wheel and avoid dangerous over correction cycles.
- The focus on steering stability resulted in improved handling and confidence in varying crosswinds.
- Therefore, the wheel shape was optimized to produce a predictable and linear response.
- The target stability gradient was 1.0.
STRONG, STIFF, LIGHT – THE ENVE PROCESS
ENVE is renowned for developing the strongest, stiffest and lightest rims on the market. This durability is proven across all disciplines of the sport including being the first and only carbon wheel to podium at World Cup DH events. All ENVE products, including the Smart ENVE System, share this advanced manufacturing technology. These technologies involve:
- Highest strength to weight ratio in the industry.
- Proprietary molded in spoke hole technology.
- Textured braking surface allowing for a more positive engagement and better braking in wet conditions.
PATENTED AERODYNAMICS PATENT # US 8,757,733
No. We’re not telling ourselves that we are smart. The Smart ENVE System is a collaboration with Simon Smart – computational fluid dynamics master and founder of Smart Aero Technologies. The SES rim shapes allow the airflow to remain uninterrupted through the most commonly seen yaw angles; reducing drag, improving stability, and ultimately improving rider performance and confidence.
- Material: Carbon Fiber
- Weight Rim: Front 449g / Rear 442g / Set 891g
- Weight Chris King R45: Set 1435.6g
- Rim Depth: Front 35mm / Rear 45mm
- Internal Rim Width: Front 18.5mm / Rear 16.5mm
- External Rim Width: Front 26mm / Rear 24mm
- Hole Count: Front 20 / Rear 24
- ERD: 584 / 566
- Finish: UNI
- Recommended Tire Size: 23mm
ENVE is located in Ogden, Utah which features the Wasatch Mountain Range to the East and Western Desert to the West. This geographic location is diverse and we wanted to make a wheelset that provides aero performance and stability over all types of terrains and through all weather conditions. The 3.4 is light weight and relatively shallow which makes managing big mountain passes and gusty canyon winds a breeze. Over rolling and flat terrain the Smart ENVE System aero technologies come into play reducing drag and improving efficiencies.